Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Last Minute Preparations for Umstead 100 mile 2009: And a few more pictures from 2007

Tristan and Gilligan at Umstead in 2007. Gilligan you can observe was ensuring he stayed off his feet in preparation of doing about 100 meters on Saturday (actually Tristan and Gilligan went hiking somewhere but I still have no idea where it was)
Before the race, with the sign. I was really nervous because in 2006 this was my first 100. Now I am really nervous because I know what to expect and what can go wrong!

With my friend Mike L who I had met during the 24 hour Race Around the Lake the summer of 2006. He is really nice. We saw each other earlier this year at Fla. during the Disney Marathon



With Sally, the main aid station captain. She is really nice and very encouraging!



Late in the afternoon the first day. By this time I was starting to get a bit tired and because it was during a significant drought I was getting dusty and dirty. For those of you who read my blog last Aug/Sept, you will recall I REALLY hate dirt (to the extent that it took me 20 minutes in a transition area in a triathlon to clean up my feet--and I see nothing wrong with this by the way!)



The Umstead 100 mile endurance run is just 3 days away. Today is my last run before the race. Then I get a few days off (Wahoo!). It is a beautiful sunny spring day here in the suburbs of DC. The tree's, flowers and shrubs are starting to bloom.


I have trained pretty hard for Umstead this year. I ran 8 marathons since the start of the year. Most of these events I extended by a few miles after I finish to build up my mileage. I also tried to run at least 4 or 5 days a week, typically around 50 or so miles. Many weeks I also did hillwork as well as walks and hikes to extend my time on feet.

I am looking forward to Umstead because I will get to see lots of friends including: Emmy (Umstead 2008 & VT100 2008, 24 hour race around the lake 2006 and 2007), Frankie (Rocky Raccoon 50), Rob (VT100 and Umstead 2007 & 2008), Kris W (Umstead 2007 and VT100 '08), Anthony (RR100, VT100 and Umstead), Frank (VT100, 24 hour race around the lake), Angela (many marathons), as well as many others.

The weather looks perfect for this weekend at Umstead (low/mid-70's and sunny). And my pacers are sort of lined up (and of course I will partake in volunteer pacers). Cindy, my sister might pace me my 5th lap (mile 50-62.5) and Tristan, my husband is looking to pace me my 8th lap (mile 88-100), although he may have Cindy be his back up if his leg/knee acts up. As long as the weather prediction continues to be good, Gilligan, our dog is looking forward to spectating on occasion throughout the race.

I know it will be tough to run and complete Umstead 100, but I know what it takes to finish it and be happy at the finish. I just need to run (or shuffle, at the end) smart and focus on staying happy and healthy throughout my ~30 hour journey.

1 comment:

A Plain Observer said...

I have to give you my favorite movie line "you are a better man than I am". If I could, I would be Gilligan's company...
Good luck! that is some accomplishment!