Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Preparing for Umstead 100 miler

The past month has just flown by.

Because of the early Feb snowstorms I have had to cram a LOT. In my personal life, in my professional life and most of all in running. Since the Mardi Gras Marathon I have run 2 more marathons:

the B&A trail marathon in 4:19
the Lower Potomac Marathon in 4:29

and finally this weekend I ran my final tune up run for the Umstead 100, the National Half Marathon.

During all these events I was so lucky to see many friends and even run with many friends. I sure hope I will be able to crank out a few race reports in the near future.

I am really excited but nervous about Umstead. I hope that I will be able to break 27 hours. It would be even better if I could break 26:40 so I could reduce my 100 miler time by 1 hour (which is my current trend).

I feel that I am getting faster and faster and if I can dig deep I can do this. At this point the weather looks decent: sunny and high of 60 low in the 40's and I am nearly packed. I just have to pack the most important part of my outfit, my shoes (okay my second most important because my sparkeley fanny pack is #1!).

Sadly this weekend I decided to wash my shoes and unfortunately my shoes are still drying. I am optimistic that by tomorrow they will be dry and thus can be packed. Then all I have to do is wait for 6 a.m. Saturday morning when the race starts....

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

stuff newspaper in your shoes!

Runner Tammy said...

Or else I could let them stay wet and pretend it's the VT50 (well except the rest of me will not be soaked and muddy!)

JojaJogger said...

Hope to see you there! (I'll be attempting 50 miles for the first time)

MCM Mama said...

Good luck at Umstead! I was volunteering at mile 5 of the National Marathon and saw you there. I was the one who cheered you on as you were leaving the stop.

Kim said...

Tammy-wish I could be there.
You can break under 27 hours-CUT YOUR TIME IN THE AID STATIONS-I cut over 1 hour in my time last year by being more efficient in AS.
Have fun, girl!!!!!!!

Carolina John said...

Good luck tammy! i'm still very upset that I won't be here to pace you !!

*jeanne* said...

Great seeing you again at LPRM!
Next year?

Jamie Donaldson said...

Go Tammy! You will be great out there! Umstead is the first time I met you--I remember in the women's room! So funny! That race has many great memories for me! Go get em! I have a feeling a new pr is on the horizon!

JojaJogger said...

27 hours, my butt! Can you say 25???

CTmarathoner said...

tammy --major congrats on your 100 mile PR!! loking forward to seeing the 3,000 photos:) or some, anyway...