Sunday, October 4, 2009

Honoring My Mom on Her Birthday, As a Charity Runner: Team to End Stroke

Today is my mom’s birthday. She would have been 71 years old today.

However, as you may know from my blog posts in the late spring of 2009, on Memorial Day 2009 my mom, Marj Wood, passed away from a catastrophic hemorrhagic stroke.

This was her second stroke and sadly this one did not have the happy ending of the complete and successful recovery she experienced in 2007.

My mom was my biggest cheerleader in life as well as marathons and ultra-marathons. Thus, I have decided a fitting way to honor her memory and create a legacy is through participation in a marathon raising awareness and funds to eliminate this devastating disease: Stroke.

To raise awareness of this debilitating and deadly disease and to promote research and development of an effective cure and/or prevention of stroke (the 3rd leading cause of death in America), I have decided to participate in a fundraising event with "The Team To End Stroke". This organization funds and supports research about the prevention and treatment of stroke as well as provides outreach and activities to assist stroke survivors.

I will be running the Arizona Rock and Roll Marathon in Phoenix to support and raise funds for this organization in late January 2010.

I hope you will consider supporting me in my goal to raise both awareness and funds to eliminate Stroke. Via this link (or reading below) you will find detailed information on how to donate money to this worthy organization.

Finally, for those of you fortunate enough to still have living parents, siblings, spouses, children or even close friends give them an extra hug tonight or call them to tell them how much you care. Appreciate every day, live life to the fullest and make sure those around you know how much you care were valuable lessons my mom taught me through the way she lived her life. She was an inspiration!

Thank you,
Tammy


Here is a picture of my mom and I at Great Falls in VA. Over the years my mom and I hung out quite frequently. She was a great parent and always ready and willing to help me out in so many ways.

We had many great times together when I was a child and as I grew up. She was the person who I always knew I could rely on and ready to offer lots of encouragement. I could not imagine a better mother and I am so lucky to have had her for 37 years of my life. I just wish it had been longer!


Have you or someone you love suffered a stroke?



I have. And that is why I’m training to run a 26.2 mile MARATHON to help the American Stroke Association.

Through the association’s Train To End Stroke program, I have a coach, a team, training schedules, and special clinics – and I’m raising thousands of dollars for stroke research and education programs. That’s important, because someone suffers a stroke every 45 seconds and someone dies of one every 3.1 minutes. And 29 percent of people who have strokes are under age 65.

I’m asking for your support through your good thoughts and a generous contribution to the American Stroke Association. I am especially proud to run on behalf of many who’ve had a stroke and desperately need our help. You can run with me in spirit.

Tammy

P.S. Your tax-deductible contribution, sent as soon as possible, is greatly appreciated! Every dollar makes a difference toward stroke research and education. If your company has a matching gift program, please send me the matching gift form along with your check – and potentially double your donation!

Follow This Link to visit my personal web page and help me in my efforts to support American Stroke Association - Boston, MA

If you have trouble accessing this link, copy and paste the following into your browser:
http://ttes.arizona2010.kintera.org/tammymassie?faf=1&e=2685210956

1 comment:

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Great way to honor your mother's memory, sister.