Friday, August 1, 2008

Items in it for the long haul: Vermont 100


Picture: Can I have any more Handkerchiefs?? Seriously, by the end of the day when I was jettisoning handkerchiefs, I had over 5 around my neck (and a "cool cat" gel filled handkerchief type item)


As you can see from my race pictures, I always run with an ultimate direction fanny pack. Because it makes me happy, I “sparklerize” my racing fanny packs. I currently have two packs that are race ready and thus sparklerized, one silver and one blue. In my fanny pack I carry a lot of items, but sadly most of these items do not see the light of day. The following lists items that took all (or a portion) of the Vermont 100 mile journey with me:
Distance ... Item
100 ........... Black diamond small flashlight
100 ........... Small container of Advil
100 ........... Barrett and Ponytail Holder
100 ........... Spare Camera batteries (*1)
100 ........... 3 spare AAA batteries
100 ............ Mojo Energy Bar (*2)
100 ........... Several snack sized Ziploc bags of toilet paper
100 ........... Several individual packages of Wet wipes (*3)
100 ........... Several individual packages of salt (*3)
100 ........... Individual insect repellent wipes
62 ............. Expired License and Health Insurance card (*4)
57 ............. Sunglasses (*5)
57 ............. Waterproof Olympus Camera (*1)
57 ............. Insect proof Bandana
55 ............. Niagara Falls Poncho (*6)
50 ............. Copious amounts of water (*7)
48 ............. Rob A.
45 ............. A Bunch of Handkerchiefs (*8)
43 ............. Small container of glide
38 ............. Black Diamond Headlamp (worn mostly around my wrist)
17 ............. Petzl e-lite Headlamp
7 .............. Patrick M. and Gary
Notes:
(*1) Even though the camera only travelled with me 57 miles, it is good the camera’s batteries joined me on the entire journey, right?
(*2) On a positive note, I did eat my second Mojo bar about 65 miles into the race.
(*3) Thanks McDonalds!
(*4) Who needs insurance and an ID after 57 miles??
(*5) I wore (but did not even really need) sunglasses for about 2 miles during the race!
(*6) When the poncho was needed during the 4 major rainstorms, it was on a break and I did NOT have it,
(*7) The lack of poncho enabled a lot of water to collect in my fanny pack since it does not have good drainage, despite the TSA’s admonition about “no liquids in carry-on” it actually made it all the way back to my home in MD!
(*8) See picture above of me taunting everyone with my numerous handkerchiefs!
As you can see many items took a ride with me but were completely useless during VT100 (those I never used or even thought about using are in italics).
Sadly, I am getting into the habit of taking many items on a 50 or 100 mile journey just for the sake of it. Essentially similar sagas occurred at Umstead 100 in both '07 and '08 as well as the JFK 50 miler in '06, '07, and '08! In fact, during JFK 07, I even took my set of three house keys for the 50 mile journey (although in my defense at mile 17 near Harpers Ferry I can turn right onto the C&O Canal to continue on the course or I can turn left on the C&O Canal and head home; so maybe I was keeping my options open!)
During one weigh in, I was a little concerned I was not drinking enough. I jumped on the scale with my fanny pack and weighed over 4 lbs greater than my initial weight. The volunteer observed my fanny pack and requested I remove it. I was ~1 lb less than my initial weight, thus I conjecture my fanny pack weighed about 3 lbs. (Note: I can do the math; it’s just that my 20 oz water bottle was fairly full!) Okay, I can’t really do the math (I’m a statistician mind you!) but I would say my 95% Confidence interval for my fanny packs weight was 3-5 lbs throughout the race!

No comments: