Sunday, October 26, 2008

Marine Corps Marathon...5 finishes in 5 years!

Tammy and Tristan near the Pentagon
My sister Cindy and Mom at mile 17

Recieving my medal

Approaching the finishline

Five years ago, I started my marathoning career in the Marine Corps Marathon in 2003. I cannot believe it has been that long. In some ways it feels like yesterday, but in other ways it feels like a long, long time ago. Marine Corps was my first marathon ever. Prior to this I was rehabing slowly from getting hit by a car. Several surgeries later I was able to walk. And it took me nearly 10 years to get back to running (albeit very slowly). After my first MCM I got addicted to running and now just can't stop. I love the sights I get to see, the people I meet and of course burning off calories (which proved very useful in Slovenia which I sort of ate my way through!).

Marine Corps Marathon has gone through some changes since I started it. In my first few years we went up by the National Zoo at mile 8. More recently we have gone through Georgetown. This year the course was modified further so we went to Haines point at mile 13 and then along the Mall up Independence and down Constitution at mile 18. Also, the awakening statue was no longer at Haines point. I may be one of the few, but I liked the old set up. I like to reflect at mile 18 about my journey, but in the gobs of spectators I was unable to do this.

This morning (4 a.m. for most, but felt like 10 a.m. for me) I got up and started getting ready. After going to bed at 6 p.m. last night I was pretty well rested. I drove myself to the Metro and took the Metro to DC. I met many other runners on this trip and oddly they all seemed to be first timers (although I probably would have caught a later metro except I figured I would wake up early). I remember how anxious I was my first time, so I tried to reassure the runners. Slowly I made my way to the start line. At a potty break, I ran into my friend Angela who was my running mentor. We were co-workers in 2002-3 and she had really provided me lots of tips and suggestions for training and running a marathon (seamless sports bra, fanny pack with water bottle at an angle and of course the regular marathoning advice). We chatted briefly and wished each other luck. She is more concerned about time and this year has been fighting shin splints so she wanted to make sure she was at the start line in a timely manner...I figure with chip timing I can be pretty much anywhere when the gun goes off.

Soon enough the start arrived. Since I am exhausted (it feels like 11:40 now), I will write about my race tommorrow. But I will spoil the end for you, I did finish in about 5:30. This is not a PR or a PW, just an average run for me particularly since I took about 300 pictures and made many side trips during the race.

1 comment:

CTmarathoner said...

wow--5 finishes in 5 years --congrats. Can't wait to see the photos -it was a picture perfect running day! Can see why it was sentimental also...