Thursday, July 9, 2009

Poop Happens: A brief summary of my recent life

Pocohontas, my mom's diabetic cat. My sister and I are now sharing caretaking duties of this cat but are looking to find her a more permanent home. She is really sweet and other than her diabetes (which she definitely accepts her insulin shots like champ), she is a good natured and afectionate cat. In fact she walks on a leash quite well (my mom trained her to do this because they traveled around in the RV and it was a good way to meet people and get the cat some fresh air and exercise).

This is a picture of a sight seen during the Fleet Feet Fun Run. What you should notice is there is a deer in the middle of someone's lawn. This is a densely populated residential area. But apparently Bambi is okay with that.

My mom owned a diabetic cat which about a month ago, my sister and I inherited. We are trying to find a home for Pocohontas (a hemeaphredic cat that was originally thought to be a female and alledgedly was spayed in the early 2000's). This past fall my mom went to the vet and during some diagnostic procedures, it was determined the cat was a boy (or at least had male organs). My sister thinks they misdiagnosed the cats gender and now calls "Pokey" a "he". I still call her Pocohontas and refer to her in third person feminine.

Well, my sister could not take care of the cat last weekend (which entails daily shots) because she was going out of town. Unfortunately since both Cindy and I have multi-cat families so we do not put out diabetic crunchie food as that would bankrupt us and there is no way to segregate the critters. But we do give Pocohontas her daily insulin shots. This means that for the forseeable future we will be sharing cat care duties.

When I met up with my sister at Reston we put the cat in the car and I started driving back to my home in MD. About 5 minutes into the ride it reeks!!! And it is not me. I look at the guilty culprit. The stench does not go away during the entire 30 minute drive. By the end of the trip my eyes are watering and I am about to try to find the Nuremburg or Helsinki rules (or is the Declaration of Independence) about ethical treatment of humans. After getting out of the car I notice she pooped in the back seat. And I was driving "blue-ey", my beloved car, not death trappy (my arch nemesis).

During the week I talked to my sister and mentioned this incident. My sister comments that during the cats flight from Dalles to Dulles earlier in June she apparently was taken out of her carrier during the Xray machine. Then Cindy put her on the leash for a bit and Pocohontas pooped in the Dalles Fort Worth Airport!!!

Oh by the way, we continue to look for someone who is able to take care of this cat. And other then her propensity to poop during travel she really is a sweet cat and does sort of get along acceptably with other cats. I will try to post a picture of her.

Continuing with this theme of poop. Tristan is now back in town. He survived his trip up Mt Rainier. But he had two incidents of significance.

First he took an expensive ($500+) down jacket on his trip and put it in a stuff sack. Somehow one morning the stuff sack worked its way out of his backpack and started rolling down an incline. Last Tristan saw this bag filled with his jacket it was going over the edge. Luckily as this was going on he thought about a sign we had seen during the Disney Marathon that suggested

"If your keys drop in hot flowing Lava, let 'em go man, just let 'em go!"

Apparently that should have said, "if your expensive jacket goes rolling off a 14,000 foot mountain let it go, just let it go dude".

Luckily one of his climbing group members ended up bailing at about 12,000 feet and Tristan asked and was able to borrow this very nice gentleman's jacket. This made it possible for Tristan to summit Rainier for the second time. This time on the more challenging Kautz Glacier.

The next story Tristan relayed was about their bagged dinners. Apparently they got "Tasty bits" for their final dinner. This was some type of spicey asian meal that upset most all of the climbers stomach by giving everyone gas. Sounds like a blast to be stuck in a small tent with other stinkey climbers with gas, doesn't it? Oh actually it sounds like my Monday night with Gilligan the gas-ey dog!

A currently unnamed person mentioned that during this entire trip (and every other mountaineering expedition he goes on) he ends up being really bound up (i.e. can't poop). My suggestion is some e.coli laced peanut butter but apparently this suggestion is not well recieved.

In fact this same person mentioned he has been pooping like a deer recently. I had no comeback for this comment. Does he mean he is lifting his tail and spewing out a bunch of pellets, he is pooping in people's backyards...what does he mean? Finally, I figured out this person was suggesting he was bound up. I offered my sympathy and suggested: "prunes, dates and other fruits: Gramps" I think the last suggestion nearly got me a beating (or as gramps said: "You're cruising for a bruising").

This got me to thinking in about 1 week I will have this exact same dilemma. If you read my post Umstead 100 mile or even VT100 posts you realize I pound down the banana's but don't eat many other fruits/veggies during the 100 miler. I admit I eat banana's for their binding properties, but it is not pretty after the fact when I am dehydrated and can't do my business for days.

For those of you who have made it to the end of this post, you should realize I was not joking in my blog title!

No comments: